Your Questions, Our Answers
Here you will find a list of some of the most frequently asked questions. If your question is not among them, please don't hesitate to contact us directly by calling (508)932-98815 or by using the Contact Form.
1. Do you offer a written contract? Yes, our contract is a written agreement between McVie Productions and the event contact that clearly defines date, time & place of your celebration as well as some specifics on deposit, cancelations, payments, DJ event requirements and venue requirements & restrictions
2. Will you be the DJ at our wedding? Yes, Steve & Liz are the owners of the company, at least one if not both of them are present at all functions unless otherwise noted.
3. May we meet with you in person before we sign a contract? Yes, we would be happy to meet with you prior to your making the decision to hire our company.
4. How long will you hold our date for us? Typically we will hold a date for 1 week or until a mutually agreed upon time.
5. Do you work exclusively for this company? Steve & Liz own McVie Productions; Steve is employed at Cod Comm, a radio company located in Hyannis. Liz's primary focus is McVie Productions and the operation of the business.
6. How long have you been a DJ and how many weddings have you done? Steve has been a radio personality for 27 years, and has been working in night clubs for at least that long. Liz a performer and singer and has been hosting karaoke for 14 years. Liz & Steve have been coordinating and entertaining at weddings for 13 years and on average have performed at about 30 weddings per year.
7. Do you perform for more than one event in a day? We only book 1 celebration per day; we believe that the couple that we are working with deserves our 100% attention the day of their celebration.
8. Do you act as the “emcee” and make all of the announcements? In most scenarios Liz will act as the announcer for the wedding celebration. However, if it is your preference that someone else MC your wedding that could also be arranged.
9. How would you define your "style" when making announcements? As a general rule we speak when your guests require information or direction, for example special events, introductions of the bridal party, toasts ect. Our style is upbeat and professional, very anti-cheese.
10. What do you do to motivate the crowd if nobody is dancing? We believe that if you play great music that the guests will be well entertained!! It is also our belief that your guest will want to be where the bride & groom are, so if you are out on the deck enjoying the beautiful sunset, then your guests will be as well. If you want a dance party we will provide the fantastic soundtrack for your evening, if you are on the floor – your guests will be too!
11. What if something happens to you and you can’t make it to the wedding? In 12 years this has only happened once, Liz had a nasty car accident the day of the wedding and spent the day in the hospital emergency room, Steve called her best friend to come be with her at the hospital and he went and made sure that the bride and groom had the best day of their lives. We tell you this because in all honesty your wedding is our top priority, if one of us is ill the other will make it happen. In addition to that Steve works in the radio industry and we have several other DJ’s that would be able to step in should something prevent us from being there. This has not happened once in 12 years, we have always been where we say we will be. If it were to happen we would of course make certain that you were well informed and that there would be no surprises for you on your wedding day. We would also make certain that whoever was covering had all of the pre-planning information that we had prepared for your celebration so that they would have all that they need to make your celebration a success.
12. Will we meet again before the wedding? Yes, we like to meet with couples about 2 months prior to the wedding if possible. If distance is an issue we are happy to do a conference call or skype and review all of your information with you over the phone and through e-mail.
13. Can we visit you at a performance? Although we have been asked this many times we have always declined to have perspective couples visit us at a wedding in progress.
If you think ahead to your own wedding celebration would you be comfortable with another couple visiting your wedding reception and your dj focused on selling their services to another couple when they should be focused on you? If you are interested in seeing how we work or our equipment we would be happy to see you at one of our various nightclub performances, but please remember, our style in a nightclub or bar is vastly different then when we are working at your wedding.
14. May we speak to your references? Yes, we would be happy to provide you with contact information for recent references. We also have several reviews available on the Knot.com.
15. How do you keep your music collection up-to-date? We utilize a monthly service that keeps our music collections up to date.
16. How involved can we be in selecting music for our event? This is a collaborative partnership, you can plan to be as involved as you choose, we have found that if you inform us of your favorites and must play songs for the night we are great at filling in the blanks to make the party a huge success!
17. When do we need to submit our music requests and event details? We ask that all planning materials are submitted at least 1-2 months prior to your wedding date. Of course if there are any last minute changes we are happy to accommodate!
18. Do you take requests from our guests? This will be at your discretion.
19. Can we submit a “Do Not Play” list? Yes, you hate the chicken dance – no problem! Just let us know those songs you dislike and we will forget that they exist!
20. When do you arrive to set up, and what would be your attire before & during the event and to break down the equipment? We arrive approximately 1 hour prior to the scheduled start time of your reception. We arrive dressed and ready to work. Typically Steve will wear a dark suit and appropriate shirt/tie combination or a “Cape Cod Tux” which is beige dress slacks, a white shirt, navy sport coat and appropriate tie. I will typically wear an appropriate cocktail dress & shoes. I try to dress conservatively usually in darker colors, I favor Navy & Black and I’m a huge fan of Ralph Lauren cocktail dresses. I will wear flip flops to set up or if your ceremony is in the sand but I change into appropriate dress shoes prior to your guests’ arrival.
21. How much of a deposit is required to secure our date? When your return your signed contract a deposit of $200.00 is required to secure your date.
22. What do you require from us? We believe that this is a collaborative relationship. We will ask you to fill out a ceremony & reception planner which will assist us in the planning and execution of the reception. If you have a very eclectic taste in music we will ask that you provide us with those titles.
23. Do you require a meal? We do require one meal for each entertainer during the course of the reception. When we are served we make certain that there is appropriate music playing, there is never an interruption to the entertainment.
24. Do you take any breaks? We do take a quick break to eat, but as previously mentioned there is never an interruption to the music. Other than that we are working for the duration of your celebration.
25. Are you insured? Yes, we have professional liability insurance; we take care with our set up to reduce the potential for any events that would cause harm to your guests.
26. What is your policy on alcohol or smoking during the wedding? We don’t smoke, and we don’t believe that your wedding is an appropriate time for a cocktail, unless of course you are a guest enjoying the celebration! We stick to water, or soda water with cranberry juice!
27. What kind of equipment do you use? We use a combination of professional DJ equipment including, JBL Eons, Bose L1 Compact, Shure Wireless Microphone, Behringer Mixers, Stanton Dual CD Players, Ipods, Laptops ect..
28. Do you bring backup equipment with you to the wedding? Yes, we bring back up equipment and we also back up our music and your special dances to several sources, your wedding is far too special an occasion to leave anything to chance!
29. Do you have a wireless microphone? Yes – we provide a Sure Wireless microphone for toasts and announcements.
30. Do you have a “light show”? We have a small set up of party lights that are available upon request.
31. Do you set up a sign or banner with your equipment? No, we don’t utilize any signage at your celebration; we will provide a business card upon request if any of your guests would like information on our services.